- Client: Private
- Location: St Margarets Bay, Kent
- Value: 1m-2m
- Type: Existing dwelling to be uplifted to create a modern and contemporary family home
- Duration: 18 months
The existing property was first constructed sometime in the 1980s. Built for an Architect who had it constructed to his own design. A fantastic plot on a slope overlooking the bay, the English Channel, and the French coast. The property now looks very dated, and our client is looking for both a new contemporary look which maximises the views and a transformed layout internally and externally to provide a modern open plan property opening out onto expansive terraces and balconies.
The existing property was constructed traditionally using block and face brickwork over a block and beam ground floor with suspended timber first and second floors. A shallow sloping roof over was covered in concrete pan tiles. As it is constructed on sloping ground the layout is a little confusing, the front door enters a lobby area with stairs leading down to the terrace level and up to the balcony level (First Floor) and up again to the sky terrace (2nd Floor).
The new layout will consist of the following:
To form a new cellar storage area under the Garden level block and beam floor at Garden Level
Garden Level (Ground Floor Rear)
- 4 Bedrooms with 2 shared bathrooms
- Extensive and very usable exterior wrap-around terrace providing open-air covered space for hot tub and beach shower to the North side and large dining area with seating and food preparation area to the south side. Linked with terrace to the front of the complete elevation
Terrace Level (1st Floor Front Door Level)
- Lounge, Dining and Kitchen open plan
- Cloakroom WC
- Extensive external balcony extending the full width of the rear of the property overlooking the sea
- Front Double garage to be slightly extended in depth to accommodate modern vehicles
- A new timber deck supported on posts will provide a level area to the front of the property for storage and waste bins etc
- Master Suite with Ensuite
- Sky Terrace/balcony overlooking the English Channel, the Bay below and the French coast
It is worthy of note that complete privacy is to be achieved from any surrounding properties whatever level of the property the clients may choose to make use of.
Generally, glass curtain walling is used to make the best of the views under a standing seam coated steel roof with many areas to be finished in Stow render and other elevations to be left in face brickwork. Windows and doors by IQ Glazing will complete the modern look the clients are looking for.